This glorious summer weather simply calls for flowy summer dresses. However, when you’re breastfeeding you might think that they’re not really an option for you. It would be ok if you had a ‘proper’ breastfeeding dress – but they’re pricey. These were the thoughts going through my mind. I’ve put together a list of 3 inexpensive breastfeeding friendly dresses I got either from high street shops or online retailers. You’ll also find some pointers on how you can ‘convert’ the dresses you already own into breastfeeding friendly outfits. I do realise I’m quite late in the season for this post, and I was debating whether to write it, but then I thought that even if it helps just one mum, it was totally worth it!
I breastfed my son for 14 months and just recently stopped. Last summer was not as nice as this one, but we still had several amazing hot days, ideal for wearing summer dresses. Nevertheless, I kept limiting myself to tops and shorts/trousers. I didn’t want to pay loads of money for a special breastfeeding dress (I was convinced I need one if I want to breastfeed and wear a dress at the same time 😊), plus there weren’t that many options that I liked. I really limited myself and, I realise now, it was a mistake. I could have worn my regular dresses and made them breastfeeding friendly. Or take a trip down the ‘sales lane’ and buy dresses that would be suitable for breastfeeding without having that special ‘breastfeeding dress’ label.
So, breastfeeding mummas, please don’t make the same mistake!
Here are some pointers for you:
- look for something with v-neck, preferably with adjustable straps or something you can unbutton (like the white Zara dress below)
- Dresses with wrap front are ideal for breastfeeding (check out the wrap front maxi dress)
- Got any shirt dresses kicking about in your wardrobe? Dig them out, they would be perfect!
- Forget special nursing bras, get a stretchy sports bra (I found nursing bras really uncomfortable, especially during the summer, anyone with me? )
- Wear a vest underneath
- Something with a bit of a stretch is always a good idea 😊
- If you don’t feel comfortable whipping the boobs out in front of everyone, pack a nice light shawl or just a muslin cloth
My picks for you are…..
Button down white dress – Zara
I just love how comfortable this dress is! Buttons make it super breastfeeding friendly.
Another fab option for breastfeeding mums – here instead of a vest I’m wearing a sports bra! Dress still available on ASOS website.
3. Super v-neck mix spotted midi dress – Topshop
Almost as if it was designed for breastfeeding! The straps come off really easily, meaning you can breastfeed without too much fuss and very discreetly too!