I think we’re all guilty of being obsessed with buying sale items, just because they’re a bargain. It makes us feel great to get something new. But do we really need all the stuff that we purchase when the red and flashy ‘SALE’ signs allure us, whether it’s offline or online? Will we use or wear it enough to get our money’s worth?
Often, we’ll buy something because it is on offer and we like it at the time but it doesn’t actually go with anything that we own. So, if we’re not determined or don’t have the budget to complete a specific look, that very item will stay locked in our wardrobe and will most likely never see the light of day. The bottom line is, it will probably end up in the charity shop and we’d have lost ‘x’ amount of money.
I’ve been guilty as charged of doing exactly that. I often wasted money on things I wasn’t completely convinced about but bought them as they were on sale. It took a while to break this habit – being on a tight budget as a mum certainly helped. I still fail from time to time, but not as much as before.
I’ve put together tips that will help you save your pennies during the sale season and make smarter buying decisions.
Here are my tips for you:
- Have a browse on Instagram, LiketoKnowIt app, fashion blogs and magazines – research what is popular at the moment and get some outfit inspirations
- Go through your wardrobe – you might already have lots of similar things that you want to purchase; also consider if things you want to buy will go with items you own already
- Make a list of things that you need and really want to get
- Go to the shop/browse online with that list in your hand
- If looking online, check the price in different shops for the same item
- When you are ready to buy, ask yourself these questions:
- Will it go with a lot of outfits?
- Will I wear it often?
- Is it timeless? Will it still be stylish in a year/2 years/always?
Hope you’ll find it useful, it certainly helped me keep on track and not go too crazy during sales.
And here’s what I think is worth getting during the sale season
I saw some really pretty, timeless coats in Oasis; also online on I Saw It First. If you have a bit of a bigger budget, a coat from Hobbs or Reiss is stunning.
White sweater (gap/H&M)
Marks and Spencers have got some lovely ones on sale!
White turtleneck sweater
Black leather imitation (or real if you’ve got the budget) leggings
Aviator jacket / biker jacket
I got mine at Marks & Spencers back in September, but you can get other nice ones pretty much in every store – Next, Zara, Mango, you name it!